This post may contain affiliate links which fund the My Sparkling Life blog.
Summer is here which usually means summer travels aren’t far behind! A lot of families, including my own, will be hitting the pavement to seek out new destinations and adventures. Road trips can sometimes be a little daunting especially for parents of young children, but it doesn’t have to be. To get you ready for your summer road trip, I have 5 Summer Road Trip Tips.
1. Make a playlist the whole family can get behind. Music makes everything better, IMO. If the kids are singing along to their favorite songs, they’re not arguing, and that’s a win for everyone! Some of my favorite road trip songs are: “Ticket to Ride” by The Beatles, “Born to Be Wild” by Steppenwolf & “Route 66” by Chuck Berry…what are some of your favorite road trip songs?
2. Create a travel binder with a budget & checklists so you have everything planned out. From the route you plan to take, to the lists on what to take. You’ll also want to make sure your vehicle is tuned up and tires properly inflated. Filling up the tank & packing the car the night before will also help you get out the door on time. Planning sounds tedious, but it actually saves time, energy and stress!
3. Pack plenty of snacks and drinks. Our drive from here to my mom’s is roughly 4 hours. I pack each one of the kids a small snack per hour and two bottles of water or Gatorade. Snacks are usually some cracker packs, fruit snacks, chips, or trail mix…I like to keep it simple. Be sure you have a trash bag or two on hand and in their reach so you don’t end up with a floor or seat full of their snack trash.
4. Pack a bag with games or activities to keep the kids busy. We don’t have an entertainment system in our van so we rely on packing some favorite toys, color books, and travel games. A few of our favorites: Mickey Mouse Club House, Trolls Color Book, Magnetic Travel Board & Travel Scavenger Hunt Card Game.
5. When traveling as a family, hotel rooms can sometimes become chaotic. Instead, try to book a suite (or two connecting rooms). The extra square footage can be beneficial and if you drove to your destination, you can even stow empty suitcases in your car to alleviate some clutter. Keeping rooms clean will cut down on frustration as well.
One of our favorite hotel stops, Red Roof PLUS+®, is rewarding travelers with RediRewards Sweepstakes, a massive prize per day summer giveaway. With more than 500 locations across the country—including more than 50 Red Roof PLUS+® upscale economy locations—Red Roof accommodates summer travelers on the go, whether they are looking to hit the beach on a sunny coast, take in a ballgame in America’s heartland or mix in a bit of summer sun into business travel, all while having a chance to win a big ticket prize.
Red Roof will give away an appealing prize each day, over 92 consecutive days, beginning June 1 and ending August 31. Travelers must be registered with Red Roof’s rich loyalty program, RediCard Rewards, to be entered. By simply registering for the free RediCard Rewards program, all new members receive one entry into the sweepstakes. Additionally, all members will receive one entry per qualified stay at a Red Roof property during the contest period. Prizes include lucrative gift cards, high-tech cameras, pulse-pounding speakers, high-definition televisions and more. For more information and contest rules, visit RediRewardsSweepstakes.dja.com.
Travelers will be able to find huge savings while they try to win. With redroof.com’s RediPromise™ program, customers can have peace of mind that they will receive the lowest rate available. When travelers book on redroof.com, if they find a lower rate within 24 hours of booking, Red Roof will not only adjust the reservation to the lower rate, but also take an additional 15 percent off the price!
Consumers can start planning the perfect summer trip now—and become a RediCard member to enter into the RediRewards Sweepstakes—at redroof.com or by calling 800.RED.ROOF.